ant-user mailing list archives

From Wascally Wabbit <wascallywab...@earthling.net>
Subject Re: TImestamping in ANT
Date Thu, 19 Jul 2007 13:02:27 GMT
dkhanna01 wrote:
> I need to find out the time taken by each of the process/target in our
> build.xml file. Now for doing this I have use ANT tstamp task to calculate
> the start time and end time of the process. Now my question is how do I find
> out the total time taken by the process, I mean is there any way to
> calculate difference between "End time" and "Start time"
>
> Thanks

If you can use thirdparty libraries you can use the AntXtra's
<assign> task like so:

<target name="compile" depends="-init" description="Compile stuff">
   <assign var="time" value="now"/>
   ...[all your compiling tasks here]
   <assign var="time" value="-now" transform="duration"
      copyproperty="compile.duration"/>
   <echo level="info" message="compile took ${compile.duration}"/>
</target>

If you want to do this for lots of your targets you can leverage
macrodefs to do this for every target using something like:

<macrodef name="timedtarget">
   <attribute name="name">
   <attribute name="functions"/>
   <sequential>
     <assign var="time_" value="now"/>
     <callinline targets="@{functions}"/> <!--do NOT switch projects-->
     <assign var="time_" value="-now" transform="duration"
        copyproperty="@{name}.duration"/>
     <echo level="info" message="@{name} took ${@{name}.duration}"/>
   </sequential>
</macrodef>

Then use it like so:

<target name="-compile">
    ...[all your compiling work here in private target]
</target>

<target name="compile" depends="-init" description="Compile stuff">
   <timetarget name="compile" functions="-compile"/>
</target>

AntXtras is at: http://antxtras.sf.net/

Hope that helps.

-The Wabbit