ant-user mailing list archives

From "query" <search2...@rediffmail.com>
Subject Re: Re: <cc> task issue in ANT
Date Mon, 02 Jul 2007 09:22:13 GMT

My project is mainly based on java. For that I am pretty comfortable using ANT tool.
there a way to integrate NANT with ANT?
I am new to both NANT and apache-ant-dotnet. How can I use apache-ant-dotnet for using <cl>,

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 Qazwart wrote :
>No, Nant and Ant are two totally separate tools. Nant I believe is  based upon .NET and
not Java (which makes sense since it is for .NET  applications).

>However, Nant and Ant do share many of the similar task types and a  very similar build.xml
file structure. You define project, run  "Targets" in the Project's build.xml file, and the
targets use  "Tasks". There are some differences between the two -- especially in  the individual
tasks. Some of this is preferences between the two  groups of authors, some of this is fixing
some of the issues users of  Ant have found with Ant itself, and some of this has to do with
the  way the two different platforms work. Nant, for example uses a lot  more functions than
Ant. In Ant, you use <available>. In Nant, you  use the <if> task and use various
Nant functions to see if a property  is defined or if a file exists. And, unlike the <available>
task, you  can do other things besides setting a single property.

>However, they are similar enough that you could easily pick up Nant  if you're use to
<csc> tasks, it would make sense to use Nant  instead of Ant.

>The biggest problem of Nant is the sparseness of the Nant  documentation. Nant is still
officially on version 0.85, so they  haven't bothered to flesh out the documentation just
yet. Microsoft  and many of the other companies in the Microsoft environment are also  not
a big supporters of Open Source software. Unlike the Unix world  where many of the larger
companies actually hire people to work on  Open Source projects and many professionals contribute
to Open Source  software because they use it in their daily work, the Microsoft world  is
still getting use to the idea that they are becoming dependent  upon Open Source projects
like Nant.

Nant documentation here: http://nant.sourceforge.net/ release/0.85/help/.

>On Jun 28, 2007, at 1:50 AM, query wrote:
>

>>Is it possible to use NANT within ANT just like ant-contrib ?
all  other things I am comfortable using ANT tool.

>>On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 David Weintraub wrote :
>>>If you're using Microsoft's .NET framework, you might want to look at
>>>Nant and not Ant. Nant is the .Net equivalent of Ant. Nant has a <mc>
>>>task which uses the Microsoft Message compiler and a <cl> task for
>>>compiling VSC++ code.
>>>
>>>Take a look at: http://nant.sourceforge.net/ and see if this does  what you want.

for microsoft Visual C++ and microsoft resource compilers  respectively.