ant-user mailing list archives

From Ninju Bohra <>
Subject Re: How to make "outputproperty" element work???
Date Thu, 28 Jun 2007 05:15:05 GMT

I made up the following quick test and the 'outputproperty' of the <java> task worked
just fine

Stupid JAVA class to generate the 'new' password and write the value to System.out (so that
it can be captured into the 'outputproperty')

public class GeneratePassword {

I created the following property file to contain the current password text

Here is the quick build.xml with the target

<project name="test" default="convert_password">
 <property name="prop_file" value=""/>
 <target name="convert_password">
  <property file="${prop_file}"/>
  <echo> Current value of my_password is ${my_password}</echo>
  <java classname="GeneratePassword" outputproperty="new_password">
   <arg value="${my_password}"/>
              <pathelement path="."/>
  <echo>New password is ${new_password}</echo>
  <copy file="${prop_file}" tofile="new_${prop_file}"/>
  <replace file="new_${prop_file}" token="${my_password}" value="${new_password}"/>
  <echo>The new password is stored in the file called new_${prop_file}</echo>

And here is the output:

Buildfile: build.xml
     [echo]  Current value of my_password is Secret
     [echo] New password is SECRET
     [echo] The new password is stored in the file called
Total time: 0 seconds

In my example I wrote the 'updated' password into a copy of the of the original file...if
you want to overwrite the original value just skip the <copy> task and adjust the "file"
attribute in the <replace> task to match the orginial file name

Hope that helps....