ant-user mailing list archives

From "David Weintraub" <qazw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Parallel tasks and Windows
Date Fri, 25 May 2007 16:44:50 GMT
Wonder if this has to do with the fact that Windows cannot spawn a new
process. Windows can only spawn new threads, and I wonder if there is
something either in your Java startup or your Ant startup script that
limits the number of threads to two.

On 5/25/07, Thomas Voigt <tvo_spambox@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I posed this question some time ago, but did not get any answers. I thought after half
a year (and unfortunately no new insights) I'd try again, because this behaviour seriously
prolongs our build time :-\

> I stumbled upon a curious problem with the ant parallel handling in conjunction with
Windows XP.

> Let's say I have 3 targets: call1, call2 and call3 which are executed in a parallel environment
(2 threads). Each target calls a hello world windows GUI application that has to be closed
manually and prints an exit confirmation afterwards. Ant starts call1 and call2 correctly
in parallel. Now the curious thing is that ant will sometimes (not always) wait for _both_
tasks to end before it starts the third task. No output is written until both tasks are finished.

> The problem is not limited to GUI applications, we have the same behaviour if we call
the VS2005 C++ compiler :-(

> We tried to reproduce the problem by replacing the hello world calls with  various ant
sleep commands, but this seemed to work fine, the third task is always started immediately
after one of the first two tasks exits.

> Any insights?
>
> Regards, Thomas
>
> --
> GMX FreeMail: 1 GB Postfach, 5 E-Mail-Adressen, 10 Free SMS.
> Alle Infos und kostenlose Anmeldung: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/freemail

David Weintraub
qazwart@gmail.com