ant-user mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <>
Subject Re: while-like structure in Ant
Date Thu, 10 May 2007 11:05:06 GMT
Emir Mahmut BAHSI wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have been working on conditional structures and loop structures on
> existing workflow managers for a long time. For this purpose I have
> implemented two simple examples for if-type and switch-type cases
> (examples are attached). In these examples my program is simply
> downloading a file. If that file does not exist in the first web address
> it tries another address. However, I could not implement a loop
> structure for that. In the loop case the program should try the same
> address until the file exists. Actually I know this is not a reasonable
> and useful scenario but I just want to show whether a conditional-loop
> scenario can be implemented in Ant.
> Can u suggest me anything to implement that example. Any help is
> appreciated.
> Thanks.

Ant is not a general purpose workflow manager.  That means we get to
avoid a lot of the workflowy concepts of conditions, choices and loops,
or the pi-calculus constructs.  And it doesnt come with anyy failure

What it does have is some simple conditions, the option to skip targets
or fail the build on the state of conditions, and the ability to block
until a condition is met.

if all you want is for the build to pause until a file is present, use
the <waitfor> task,

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message