ant-user mailing list archives

From Stephen Nesbitt <snesb...@cobaltgroup.com>
Subject Re: How to best create environment specific properties in an applications property file using ANT
Date Thu, 01 Mar 2007 17:51:31 GMT
I consider it best practice to *never* incorporate runtime configuration
information into a build. When asked to do so I also request that I be
given a "way forward machine" that will peer into the future and tell me
where it will be deployed.

Less flippantly, relying on "targeted" builds - builds specific to a given
environment - is not scaleable (environments are always growing in my
experience), aren't maintainable (someone always forgets to update all
the configurations), aren't flexible (someone needs to test on a new,
temporary environment right now and can't because a new configuration and
build have to be created.).

-steve

Stephen Nesbitt
CM Architect/Lead