ant-user mailing list archives

From "Peter Reilly" <peter.kitt.rei...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: output dir is being determined by following symlink
Date Wed, 28 Feb 2007 09:20:46 GMT
On 2/27/07, David Carson <dccarson@gmail.com> wrote:
> We have a build environment where we build a 'shadow' of our source
> tree consisting of symbolic links to the real source tree.  The actual
> build takes place in this shadow.
>
> When I run ant in this shadow, it reads the main .mxml file using the
> symlink.  However, it figures out that the .mxml is a symlink, follows
> that link to the real file, and the resulting output files (such as
> .cache files) are written there (or so my theory goes).  I have
> replaced the symlink with a real copy of the file and the output ends
> up in the shadow, so my theory seems to be correct.
>
> I want all output files in the shadow, so I don't want ant to follow
> the symlink to determine where to write output. Is this possible?
Not at the moment.

Java is unaware of symbolic links and follows them without
informing applications. One can
use a hack of checking if the absolute path of the file
is the same as the canonical path to check if a file
is a symbolic link. This however fails for certain files.
Ant has some tasks that do that, however <delete>
is not one of them.

There is an open bugzilla request/bug report to
enable <delete> to do this.
see:
http://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/attachment.cgi?id=16406

Peter