ant-user mailing list archives

From "Peter Reilly" <peter.kitt.rei...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Python implementation for Ant
Date Thu, 08 Feb 2007 18:47:50 GMT
On 2/8/07, Matt Benson <gudnabrsam@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Here's a link to Terence Parr's "Humans should not
> have to grok XML" article:
>
> http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-sbxml.html
>
> In it he explains the distinction between XML as a
> data representation format, the use for which it was
> AFAIK intended,
This is one viewpoint.
HTML is from the same source and it is for
human consumption.
XML is actually easier that HTML as it is less forgiving
with regard to mistakes.
> vs. as an explicit interface for human
> consumption.  Regardless of your own position, I found
> it an interesting read.  Terence is an example of a
> noted personality in the OSS community who develops in
> Java but has never touched Ant precisely _because_ of
> its XML interface.
Mmm,
I spend ~15 years fighting cryptic make files - sometimes
I wrote perl scripts to help - it was not a pleasant experience.
I never really understood the M4 / configure / autoconf stuff.

I found ant build files to be simple to understand and to
use for java projects (once one realized that the commands/tasks
are directory based).

Peter