ant-user mailing list archives

From cprice <cpr...@its.to>
Subject Ant sshexec random failuresrun a fai
Date Wed, 07 Feb 2007 22:37:29 GMT

Hi there;

I run a deploy system using ant with sshexec and scp. My deploy consists of
sshexec calls to shut down running applications on remote servers, copy of
files via scp to remote servers, and then subsequent sshexec calls to start
up applications on remote servers.

My problem is that my ant sshexec calls fail randomly with "Remote command
failed with exit status -1". I'll have 20 successful deploys in a row, a
failure, 3 more successes, 2 failures, etc... Effectively what seems to be
happening is that the failing sshexec tasks do not attempt to make a
connection to the remote system. I've esteablished this by watching strace
and lsof output of the running ant process and noting the abscence of a tcp
socket connection to the remote system. Also, the instant I get the remote
command failed error I can connect via ssh by hand (CLI) to the remote
system with no issues. I have also run scripts that continually run remote
commands against all remote systems while running the ant deploy.

My deploy system is rhel4, OpenSSH_3.9p1, OpenSSL 0.9.7a Feb 19 2003.

Target systems are a mixture of rhel3, OpenSSH_3.6.1p2, SSH protocols
1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090701f
and windows 2003 server running cygwin, OpenSSH_4.3p2, OpenSSL 0.9.8b 04 May
2006

I was originally seeing this behaviour under ant-1.6.5, so I upgraded to
ant-1.7.0 with no changes. I also upgraded my ant-1.7.0 to jsch-0.1.31.jar
based on some anecdotal evidence I saw in the jsch changelog.

My ant install was running under jdk 1.4.2_11, which we upgraded to jdk
1.6.0  with no change.

ANY help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Chris