ant-user mailing list archives

From Rashmi Rubdi <dev_subscripti...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: How to compile jsp files with ANT
Date Wed, 21 Feb 2007 08:58:55 GMT
Hi James,

I use the Jasper task to mainly reduce the time it takes to load a JSP page.

I only execute the Jasper task just before creating the WAR file for the production environment.

On the production environtment that gets multiple visitors throughout the day, every time
someone makes the *first* request to a particular JSP page - the container's compiler compiles
it for the first time.

This is fine if the application is small but if the app has too many JSP pages then, the container
would compile each and every JSP page just once thus
slowing the overall application response time especially if multiple users are accessing different
parts of the web app at the same time. Pre-compiling the JSPs makes the web application response
time much faster because the container only serves the class file.

If you refer to the JSP 2.0 Final Release Specification (PDF) jsp-2_0-fr-spec.pdf on page
1-7 , it lists all the benefits of pre-compiling JSPs.

I don't use the Jasper task for the development environment though, because one wouldn't mind
a negligible wait for just one JSP page in the development environment and
also because the Jasper task takes a very long time to complete, it is not suitable for a
dev build but only for production build.

-Regards
Rashmi