ant-user mailing list archives

From Hans Schwaebli <hans_schwae...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: Python implementation for Ant
Date Thu, 08 Feb 2007 21:13:48 GMT
Interesting article. I bookmarked it and will read it later.

Two years ago I had to use Ant a lot for building our application. This is much complexer
than just copying and compiling.

I started to discuss the uglyness of XML for Ant in the Sun Java forum. Nonetheless I used
Ant without much hatred. But I didn't change my mind on XML for that purpose.

Maybe if you have very simple build scripts and you are easy to satisfy, then Ant's XML won't
hurt much. But if the scripts are complex and thus can't hide its scripting nature, then you
pay with bugs and its consequences, of which many would have been avoided by a scripting language.

Matt Benson <gudnabrsam@yahoo.com> wrote: Here's a link to Terence Parr's "Humans should
not
have to grok XML" article:

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-sbxml.html

In it he explains the distinction between XML as a
data representation format, the use for which it was
AFAIK intended, vs. as an explicit interface for human
consumption.  Regardless of your own position, I found
it an interesting read.  Terence is an example of a
noted personality in the OSS community who develops in
Java but has never touched Ant precisely _because_ of
its XML interface.  So such developers definitely
exist, thought it's quite possible he is the only one
whose aversion to human-targeted XML is a strong
enough deterrent in and of itself.  ;)

-Matt