ant-user mailing list archives

From Hans Schwaebli <hans_schwae...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Python implementation for Ant
Date Thu, 08 Feb 2007 07:23:05 GMT
I reply to all of you here.

  For me it does not matter so much, if Ant's XML is replaced by Python, Jython, Groovy or
another scripting language. I think all would be better for writing Ant scripts than the XML
way.

  In the beginning of Ant, XML seemed to be a good way. But as it evolved, I guess it got
more and more elements of a scripting language and the XML way became more and more less suitable.
XML was not made for writing a script with it but for being a data container. It is like a
fork was not made to comb hair but to eat with it. That is my opinion and experience.

  I once tried just to use the Ant API programatically in Java instead of writing XML files
and thought that it was not designed for being used in a productive way but for being able
to do anything. But I am not sure if this still applies, because that was two years ago when
I tried it this way.

  Eclipse has now added support for debugging Ant scripts, which shows their script nature.
But other IDE developers have to implement such a debugging feature too. If for example Python
is used for writing Ant scripts, there are many IDEs with good support for writing, much better
than a normal XML editor. Or am I wrong?

  It is your baby, the Ant thing. I just told the you what I personally would change if I
were responsible for Ant.