ant-user mailing list archives

From Hans Schwaebli <hans_schwae...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: Python implementation for Ant
Date Thu, 08 Feb 2007 21:23:05 GMT
Because I really needed it, I started to use these Ant tasks from 3rd party addons:

- try-catch
- if-else
- var (for using variables and not constants)
- loops

Most scripting languages supports these things natively.

I had sometimes problems with logging and needed to write a own task for changing the log
level. But it still was no perfect solution. There maybe are perfect solutions with Ant and
XML. But they take much more time to find than if using a scripting language, where many of
these problems don't even occur.

"Scot P. Floess" <floess@mindspring.com> wrote: Matt:

Interesting read...

I certainly do see the points being made...but for me, XML is just another syntax - no different
than understanding a Java class syntax, C++, BASH, SQL, etc, etc, etc...

Because the markup is fairly fixed I actually find it easier to remember the notation (thats
just me though)...

Honestly, in the past, I only considered XML as a data markup...  However, I worked on an
11 month project at Lucent for a VoiceXML Gateway and was introduced to both Ant and VoiceXML.
 I was...completely blown away as it never occured to me to use XML for scripting...and was
sold at that time (and still am).  I guess I am just biased now - must be getting old and
set in my ways ;)

Scot