ant-user mailing list archives

From Hans Schwaebli <hans_schwae...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Python implementation for Ant
Date Wed, 07 Feb 2007 14:49:16 GMT
Steve Loughran ...

  If I dislike something it has nothing to do with religion. You can't avoid discussions by
simply stating they are religious.

  I am not anti-XML in general, but I don't think this format makes any sense for a scripting
or programming language. Even the first creator of Ant today thinks that choosing XML for
writing Ant scripts with it was not the best idea.

  I work with Ant since two years so I know about what I write. If I still think that writing
Ant scripts in XML is cumbersome, than it is for me. This is not to be dismissed as a religious
belief but my personal professional experience with Ant and programming and scripting languages.

  It would be good that something in the softwar world is official or is at least mainstream,
because bosses attach importance to it.

  Why not offer writing Ant scripts in Jython and XML? Let developers choose. But now they
have no real choice for Ant scripts, only XML syntax.

  There are a lot of reasons why the XML syntax is not good for writing scripts in that way.
The tool support for XML doesn't help except for the very basic things like well-formedness.
  It has no use to argue for deprecating XML for Ant and using Jython instead to write Ant
scripts, if there is no critical mass here.

  So is there a critical mass for improving the way to write Ant scripts with Jython, or at
least open mindedness for this idea? Thats the first question on which the debate depends.

Need a quick answer? Get one in minutes from people who know. Ask your question on Yahoo!
Answers.