ant-user mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How to compile jsp files with ANT
Date Thu, 22 Feb 2007 10:12:31 GMT
Rashmi Rubdi wrote:
g to know - thanks for sharing this, I will keep it in mind for future
projects.

>> ok, you need to fast forward to chapter 12, and ignore the bit where it
>> tells you how to use <jspc>.  that bit has been cut from the sequel for
>> that very reason.
>
> Ok, I see HTTPUnit and Apache Cactus covered after Chap 12, I will take a look at those
chapters.

> From looking at the chapters in "Java Development with Ant" , you have covered Ant with
respect to other parts of Java such as EJBs, SOAP, Log4J, I should make more time
> to go over the book. I've been reading so many things like XSLT, JSTL etc just trying
to stay up to date with the latest and greatest, and there's still so much I don't know :-(
- like JSF etc.

> But I guess, I should start reading on an as-needed basis rather than reading things
sequentially, after gaining a basic understanding of concepts.

nobody can keep in their head everything "needed" these days, or at
least the things everyone says they need. I can't do complex XPath or
XSL, havent done any AJAX stuff, and updating the book for EJB3/JavaEE 5
showed me a whole world that I'd been avoiding.

so yes, pick the chapters you think are relevant. ch12: web+httpunit,
ch14, EJB+Cactus.

Cactus is interesting as it runs normal unit tests inside the app
server, sending back the results. which is good for testing, but not
always for debugging. Quite often I create a set of JSP pages with
inline <% java code %> to test different things; each page is a test.
Then I can not only run cactus at it, I can point my browser at it and
see the stack trace.

see also the presentations on testing under

http://people.apache.org/~stevel/slides/