ant-user mailing list archives

From James Abley <james.ab...@volantis.com>
Subject Re: How to compile jsp files with ANT
Date Wed, 21 Feb 2007 09:19:15 GMT
I would suggest you take a closer look at my original suggestion. If you
use the Jasper task, then I would think that the compiled versions of
the JSP aren't portable off Tomcat. e.g.

public final class index_jsp extends org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase
     implements org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspSourceDependent {

Your target container _may_ provide a mechanism for compiling JSPs,
otherwise you _do_ need to request each page as part of your deployment
strategy to make sure that they have been compiled.

Cheers,

James

Rashmi Rubdi wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> I use the Jasper task to mainly reduce the time it takes to load a JSP page.
>
> I only execute the Jasper task just before creating the WAR file for the production environment.
>
> On the production environtment that gets multiple visitors throughout the day, every
time someone makes the *first* request to a particular JSP page - the container's compiler
compiles it for the first time.

> This is fine if the application is small but if the app has too many JSP pages then,
the container would compile each and every JSP page just once thus
> slowing the overall application response time especially if multiple users are accessing
different parts of the web app at the same time. Pre-compiling the JSPs makes the web application
response time much faster because the container only serves the class file.

> If you refer to the JSP 2.0 Final Release Specification (PDF) jsp-2_0-fr-spec.pdf on
page 1-7 , it lists all the benefits of pre-compiling JSPs.

> I don't use the Jasper task for the development environment though, because one wouldn't
mind a negligible wait for just one JSP page in the development environment and
> also because the Jasper task takes a very long time to complete, it is not suitable for
a dev build but only for production build.

> -Regards
> Rashmi

compiles them into class files, it will also modify web.xml