ant-user mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Python implementation for Ant
Date Mon, 12 Feb 2007 12:22:17 GMT
bill/wilandra wrote:
> Hmmm, a basic tenet of Prolog is that the rules do not have any side
> effects. That is why Prolog can back track like it does. In a build process
> there are many side effects in creating, modifying, and copying/moving
> files. These side effects could become impossible to restore to their
> original states.

aah, but you forget about transacte file systems :)

actually, in big prolog projects you tend to make big use of the !
statement, because you dont want backtracking. One typo and your app
branches off into the undergrowth.

Anyway, I was not arguing in favour of prolog as a build system for java
apps. I was trying to note that languages like prolog (sometimes) are
better for bits of your app, like anything working with a graph of
complex content. Like XML, RDF or other structured text data coming in
over the wire.

I think you can run JLog as a script under ant, BTW.