ant-user mailing list archives

From "Xavier Hanin" <xavier.ha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Dynamically building dependencies...
Date Fri, 12 Jan 2007 18:46:49 GMT
On 1/12/07, Andrew Close <aclose@gmail.com> wrote:

> hello all,

Hello Andrew,

i'm looking for a more elegant/efficient solution to a problem we have
> in our build scripts.
> our source code is fairly unorganized as an organization, and as we've
> grown and added systems it has become unwieldy. this is more of a
> process problem than an ANT script problem, but i'm hoping i can come
> up with a short term solution before we can get around to
> re-architecting our entire system.
>
> our source code is broken up by JAR files.  obviously, some of these
> JAR files rely on other JAR files to work properly.  i've managed to
> cobble together a full build that currently builds all of our
> deliverables in build-dependency order, but i would like to be able to
> build components (and their dependencies) individually.
> for example:
> JAR A depends on JAR B and JAR C
> when building JAR A, if JAR B and JAR C do not exist, build them
> first, then continue with A

You may be interested in looking at Ivy (http://incubator.apache.org/ivy/).
It's a dependency manager integrated with ant, with some setup you can ask
Ivy to order a list of projects according to the dependencies to build them
all, you can trigger dependency builds when resolving dependencies of a
module, and so on. And you will get dependencies reports as a bonus.

Xavier

i know this can lead to a monstrous build chain where dependencies are