ant-user mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: <xmlproperty> intra-element attribute property resolution issue
Date Tue, 23 Jan 2007 12:49:53 GMT
Prashant wrote:
> [Wild guess] I am not sure if the following Xerces Bug on attribute
> order preservation is relevant here.
>
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/XERCESJ-863
>
> -Prashant

Its effectively part of the XML spec. You cannot even guarantee that a
SAX parser will send you events in the order attributes are in the file.
There's no way Ant could rely on a specific behaviour from a specific
(but not mandatory) XML parser. So yes, the underlying problem is there,
and there is no clear solution.

It also explains why various XML editor tools reorder things. They have
no choice. But on a positive note, the fact that xerces reorders
attributes stops us relying on the order. If they were really thorough
they'd return a random order to stop us relying on the list coming back
as alphanumeric characters.

-steve

Exercise for the day: find some Ant code that assumes the order that
attrs come in is predictable and matches the source layout. I think the
spawn logic in <exec> may do this.

-steve