ant-user mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: java errors when running build file
Date Fri, 19 Jan 2007 14:07:50 GMT
Mike.Horn@wincanton.co.uk wrote:
> Hello
>
> HP-UX11i
> Java 1.3
> ANT v.1.7.0
>

> $ ant -f Unix_Build.xml
> Buildfile: Unix_Build.xml
>  [property] java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException:
> java.lang.IllegalArgume
> ntException: Unknown signal: HUP
>  [property]     at sun.misc.Signal.<init>(Unknown Source)
>  [property]     at java.lang.Terminator.setup(Unknown Source)
>  [property]     at java.lang.Shutdown.add(Unknown Source)
>  [property]     at java.lang.Runtime.addShutdownHook(Unknown Source)
>  [property]     at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
>  [property]     at
> org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.ProcessDestroyer.addShutdownHoo
> k(ProcessDestroyer.java:100)
>  [property]     at
> org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.ProcessDestroyer.add(ProcessDes
> troyer.java:184)
>  [property]     at
> org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Execute.execute(Execute.java:47
> 5)
>  [property]     at
> org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Execute.getProcEnvironment(Exec
> ute.java:165)
>  [property]     at
> org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Property.loadEnvironment(Proper
> ty.java:526)
>  [property]     at
> org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Property.execute(Property.java:
> 403)
>  [property]     at
> org.apache.tools.ant.UnknownElement.execute(UnknownElement.ja
> va:288)
>  [property]     at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
>  [property]     at
> org.apache.tools.ant.dispatch.DispatchUtils.execute(DispatchU
> tils.java:105)
>  [property]     at org.apache.tools.ant.Task.perform(Task.java:348)
>  [property]     at org.apache.tools.ant.Target.execute(Target.java:357)
>  [property]     at
> org.apache.tools.ant.helper.ProjectHelper2.parse(ProjectHelpe
> r2.java:140)
>  [property]     at
> org.apache.tools.ant.ProjectHelper.configureProject(ProjectHe
> lper.java:96)
>  [property]     at org.apache.tools.ant.Main.runBuild(Main.java:683)
>  [property]     at org.apache.tools.ant.Main.startAnt(Main.java:199)
>  [property]     at
> org.apache.tools.ant.launch.Launcher.run(Launcher.java:257)
>  [property]     at
> org.apache.tools.ant.launch.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:104)

Could be a failure to add a shutdown hook as either it is unknown on
that OS/JVM combo, or the JVM is running with reduced signals.1. you are
not running Ant under a JVM with -Xrs set are you?

In smartfrog we have to wrap signal setup with an exception catcher, as
it fails earlly on on the kaffe JVMs. We catch it and warn that the tool
is not tested on those JVMs and so use at your own risk...

We could maybe do the same in ProcessDestroyer; catch the exception and
warn, since its only there to ensure a cleaner shutdown when ant gets
killed. Its not mandatory.

-steve