ant-user mailing list archives

From "Jack J. Woehr" <jwo...@absolute-performance.com>
Subject Recursive Property Expansion
Date Fri, 08 Dec 2006 23:49:36 GMT
Sometime in 2001 we were all discussing recursive property expansion:

<project default="all">
   <target name="all">
     <property name="foo" value="woof"/>
     <property name="bar" value="arf"/>
     <property name="woof.arf" value="It works!"/>
     <echo> ${${foo}.${bar}} </echo>
   </target>
</project>

This would echo "It works!" with recursive expansion. In 1.7.0RC1
it echoes ${${foo}.arf} .

I submitted a patch once or twice that would make this work and
everyone seemed to nod very seriously over it :-) But five years
later Ant properties still don't expand recursively.

I've got macros that do this, but still, doesn't recursive expansion
just fit Ant perfectly? Is there anyone who has ever used Ant who
didn't expect properties to work that way until they found out
that they don't?

--
Jack J. Woehr
Director of Development