ant-user mailing list archives

From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: please update the next release of Ant 1.7 to Xerces 2.9.0
Date Wed, 20 Dec 2006 05:57:19 GMT

Since this missed the 1.7.0 release, here's a friendly reminder to
put it on the agenda for the 1.7.1 release.  I'm a little curious why
this didn't make it?  It fixed a lot of bugs and finally included a
proper official release of xml-commons-external (xml-apis-1.3.04.jar)
and included much improved (and shared) serializer code, in
serializer.jar, maintained by the Xalan team, not to mention the new
xml-commons-resolver release.  There's a lot to love, but not enough
to get included in Ant-1.7.0, I guess.

Jake

At 11:13 AM 12/5/2006, you wrote:

 >Here's the official Xerces statement on JDK1.2 compatibility...
 >
 ><quote name="Michael Glavassevich">
 >They're supposed to be compatible with JDK 1.2 however no one has tested
 >that so I can't say whether they actually are. The same is true for all of
 >the previous releases starting from Xerces 2.6.0. These were only built
 >and tested with JDK 1.3 and above (though we only distribute the jars
 >built with 1.3).
 ></quote>
 >
 >The fact that Xerces is built using IBM JDK1.3 means instant
compatibility with
 >1.2 unless 1.3-specific APIs are used, no?  They don't use -target or -source
 >flags for their <xjavac> extension of <javac> in the build file, but that
 >shouldn't matter since, according to the Ant docs, -target defaults
to 1.1 (for
 >JDKs 1.1 through 1.3) and -source is ignored previous to JDK1.4.
 >
 >BTW, who is the Ant build manager?  I think there's enough information
 >to make a
 >final decision on including XercesImpl-2.9.0.jar and
xml-apis-1.3.04.jar (and I