ant-user mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ant 1.6.5, scriptdef and antlib?
Date Sun, 31 Dec 2006 13:57:15 GMT
Stephen Nesbitt wrote:
> All:
>
> I'm trying to figure out if something is possible or if I am just being
> clueless.
>
> I have written a couple of tasks using jython and scriptdef. Becuase they
> are jython and white case is significant, the jython scripts are in files
> referenced by the src attribute rather than included in the scripdef
> itself.
>
> I could make these available to builds that need them by using the import
> mechanism. However it seems to me to be more elegant to use the antlib
> mechanism.
>
> However I can't figure out how to use the antlib mechanism with a
> scriptdef element (or even if it is possible under 1.6.5). Does the
> antlib.xml need to be in a jar? or can they live in an exploded
> directory? How do I inform Ant where the implementing scripts live?
>
> I have tried this by creating an jar having only a single antlib.xml. And
> I can even get the build file to recognize it. But I am also seeing funny
> results. For instance a single "print attributes" statment is invoked
> twice with the attributes collection correct in the first invocation and
> empty in the second.
>
> Am I barking up the wrong tree here? What would be the best way to
> distribute these scriptdef tasks?

The ideal way would be to bundle everything up into its own JAR. I dont
think Ant1.7 suppports that, but it is clearly something to work on. At
a guess, we'd need the scriptdef tasks to be resource aware, and take
files on the classpath as a source. Where that can cause problems is for
tasks that import relative stuff; I dont see them handling that easily.

-steve