ant-user mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <>
Subject Re: Problems with upgrade to Ant 1.7.0 RC1 and Java 1.5
Date Thu, 07 Dec 2006 14:43:02 GMT
Thomas Voigt wrote:
> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum:  Thu, 07 Dec 2006 11:39:55 +0000
> Von: Steve Loughran <>
> An: Ant Users List <>
> Betreff:  Re: Problems with upgrade to Ant 1.7.0 RC1 and Java 1.5
>> Thomas Voigt wrote:
>>> (2) The <sql> command hangs if I try to access an oracle database. This
>> works fine with either ant version as long as we use Java 1.4, but fails
>> with either ant version with Java 1.5.
>> Ok. I've seen this once before, and I think we need to document it.
>> What is the URL to the database? is it localhost?
> Nope, a remote server using Oracle 9.2 jdbc drivers.

ok. Which is probably now routing via the proxy.

>>> (3) The <svn> command times out after some time and reports
>>> [svn] svn: PROPFIND request failed on [Repository]
>>> svn: Malformed reply from SOCKS server
>>> Any Ideas?
>> could be related. Whose SVN command? Something pure java, or a wrapper
>> round the native lib?
> Using the svnant task from <>.

OK. these are java based so would pick up the proxy settings of ant.

> Win XP or Win2003 Server.
>> 1. What are your proxy settings?
> Manual proxy configuration to a proxy server and port 8080 (at least that's what my IE
says, I think these are the global windows settings?)

yes, these are system (well, user) wide, and what is passed down to the

>> 2. Run ant -diagnostics and file a bugrep
> Yep, I'll do that. I just prefer to confirm that I made no mistake before I report a
>> 2. does everything work if you run ant with -noproxy ?
> Svn checkout works, database access does not.

I'm glad things are working with SVN, worried about oracle. Post the
-diagnostics to see what Ant thinks the world looks like.

This is the main change in ant network behaviour for java1.5 over 1.4,
and its meant to help, because the JVM can pick up the proxy settings
from the server. I'm starting to worry if it is a benefit, or whether we
should pull it from the release.

1. there is no consistent model of 'the proxy' on linux
2. windows has one, but as can be seen, things dont always route through
3. its a dog debugging other users's proxy settings.

What do users/developers think? Should Ant1.7 roll back to

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message