ant-user mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Problems with upgrade to Ant 1.7.0 RC1 and Java 1.5
Date Thu, 07 Dec 2006 11:39:55 GMT
Thomas Voigt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we tried to upgrade our system to Java 1.5 (jdk1.5.0_09) and Ant 1.7.0 RC1. Sadly we
ran into several problems. We also use svnant 1.1.0 RC2 and ant-contrib 1.0b2.

> I would like to know if any of you ran into similar problems - I'm moderately experienced
with fiddling with ant, but not an expert. (The Ant upgrade is necessary due to a bug in the
ant recorder task that is supposedly fixed in v1.7. The Java upgrade is not strictly necessary,
but would be nice because we started to upgrade our Java projects to 1.5.)
> Here are the problems:
>
> (1) Logfiles are emptied on the stop command. More precisely, I have a target that looks
like this:

> [begin target]
> <record name="${JavaLog}" action="start" loglevel="info"/>
> [some antcalls and antcallbacks that produce output]
> <record name="${JavaLog}" action="stop"/>
> [do something with the log file and end target]
>
> After this call, the log file is empty. If I either fail just before the "stop", or remove
the "stop" command, then everything is fine. The code works fine with ant 1.6.5, but does
not work with Ant 1.7.0RC1 regardless of the Java version (1.4.2_06 or jdk1.5.0_09).

That I know nothing about

> (2) The <sql> command hangs if I try to access an oracle database. This works fine
with either ant version as long as we use Java 1.4, but fails with either ant version with
Java 1.5.

Ok. I've seen this once before, and I think we need to document it.

What is the URL to the database? is it localhost?

> (3) The <svn> command times out after some time and reports
> [svn] svn: PROPFIND request failed on [Repository]
> svn: Malformed reply from SOCKS server
>
> Any Ideas?

could be related. Whose SVN command? Something pure java, or a wrapper
round the native lib?

On Java1.5, Ant sets the system proxy to be whatever the OS provides.
Oracle appears to use the proxy settings and http as a transport, so can
get confused. Maybe the svn task is similar

0. Which OS?
1. What are your proxy settings?
2. Run ant -diagnostics and file a bugrep
2. does everything work if you run ant with -noproxy ?

-Steve