ant-user mailing list archives

From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: please update the next release of Ant 1.7 to Xerces 2.9.0
Date Wed, 20 Dec 2006 16:50:03 GMT
Quoting Steve Loughran <steve_loughran@hpl.hp.com>:

> Jacob Kjome wrote:
> >
> > Since this missed the 1.7.0 release, here's a friendly reminder to put
> > it on the agenda for the 1.7.1 release.  I'm a little curious why this
> > didn't make it?  It fixed a lot of bugs and finally included a proper
> > official release of xml-commons-external (xml-apis-1.3.04.jar) and
> > included much improved (and shared) serializer code, in serializer.jar,
> > maintained by the Xalan team, not to mention the new
> > xml-commons-resolver release.  There's a lot to love, but not enough to
> > get included in Ant-1.7.0, I guess.
> >
> > Jake
>
> Oh, we love xerces, and have been shipping it for a long time. It
> eliminates nearly all XML-parser related support calls.
>
> We've been working to get a stable release together for a while and
> opted to minimise late changes of any kind, as it would force another
> beta cycle.
>
> One thing we have learned is that a lot of people avoid the beta
> releases and only d/l the release versions, so tne 1.7.0 release will
> get tested in more complex builds and aberrant system configurations
> than the normal developer & beta test teams do. Which invariably forces
> us to to do a 1.7.1 release within two or three months. This is the
> release where we will gladly roll out Xerces 2.9 and matching APIs.

Makes sense.

> Incidentally, does xerces now depend on this serializer.jar? That is,
> does it need to be included in the distro? Or are its classes merged
> into xerces and xalan? These are the kind of thing we need to understand
> before we ship

No, there's no dependency in Xerces.  It's loaded via reflection by Xerces.  But
they have deprecated their native serializer classes in favor of the shared one
provided by the Xalan team.  If serializer.jar is in the path, it will be used.
 If not, the deprecated Xerces native serialization will be used (assuming one
isn't directly referencing the Xerces native serializer API rather than
properly using the interfaces, such as JAXP or DOM3LS).  I'm not clear on
whether the same will be true for the next Xalan release (2.7.1, I think [1])?
They may actually depend directly on serializer.jar (or maybe they'll
incorporate it within xalan.jar?).  I guess we'll find out when they make the
release official.

Jake

[1] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/xalan/java/tags/xalan-j_2_7_1/