ant-user mailing list archives

From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: please update the next release of Ant 1.7 to Xerces 2.9.0
Date Tue, 05 Dec 2006 17:13:32 GMT

Here's the official Xerces statement on JDK1.2 compatibility...

<quote name="Michael Glavassevich">
They're supposed to be compatible with JDK 1.2 however no one has tested
that so I can't say whether they actually are. The same is true for all of
the previous releases starting from Xerces 2.6.0. These were only built
and tested with JDK 1.3 and above (though we only distribute the jars
built with 1.3).
</quote>

The fact that Xerces is built using IBM JDK1.3 means instant compatibility with
1.2 unless 1.3-specific APIs are used, no?  They don't use -target or -source
flags for their <xjavac> extension of <javac> in the build file, but that
shouldn't matter since, according to the Ant docs, -target defaults to 1.1 (for
JDKs 1.1 through 1.3) and -source is ignored previous to JDK1.4.

BTW, who is the Ant build manager?  I think there's enough information to make a
final decision on including XercesImpl-2.9.0.jar and xml-apis-1.3.04.jar (and I
recommend including serializer.jar, which is the new shared serializer between
Xerces-2.9.0 and Xalan).

BTW, the deployment of Xerces-2.9.0 to the maven repository is being actively
worked on as we speak by Nathan Beyer.  Can't say for sure when it will be out
there, but it should be soon.

Jake