ant-user mailing list archives

From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: return early from a macrodef?
Date Sat, 11 Nov 2006 00:52:51 GMT
At 04:38 PM 11/10/2006, you wrote:
 >Jake: Why [can't you/are you reluctant to] use target
 >dependencies to do this as opposed to macros?

Hi Matt,

Please read [1] (see below).

For further explanation, In my generic core build file, I call the
<bootstrap/> macrodef.  I don't want the generic build file having to
know what <bootstrap/> does except by implication.  Right now I've
got ant-contrib, which is considered required for the build.  I may
add other libraries that I consider required.  The macrodef exists
inside an external antlib file loaded like this...

<typedef file="${rootdir}/common-build.antlib" format="xml"
uri="common-build.antlib"/>

I have a minimum set of targets in common build....

      <target name="prepare" depends="appinfo, -prepare.hook, -prepare.local"/>
     <target name="-prepare.hook" depends="-prepare.hook.bootstrap"/>
     <target name="-prepare.hook.bootstrap">
         <cmn:bootstrap/>
     </target>
     <target name="appinfo" depends="-appinfo.local"
             description="displays application info about the current build"/>

I have plugin import files that add their own targets as dependencies
of "-prepare.hook" or "-prepare.hook.bootstrap" (via a custom
scriptdef).  The latter target is what a download plugin might hook
into.  It might obtain ant-contrib.jar from the net and put the jar
in its place on the file system.  The very last thing that happens,
after all plugins have completed their bootstrapping targets, is the
call to <cmn:bootstrap/>.   The build requires ant-contrib, so it
can't be a plugin that provides the bootstrapping.  The bootstrapping
needs to be called out from the common build file that every other
non-plugin build file imports.  I never want to touch this common
build file for any reason.  It provides a common infrastructure and
that's it;  no specifics!  And besides the fact that adding
dependency targets on "-prepare.hook.bootstrap" to perform checks for
ant-contrib existing in the classpath or checks for a Path with an
"ant-contrib" id would expose implementation to the common build
file, it also makes it so plugins have to worry about whether they
append or prepend target dependencies to make sure they don't break
the common build infrastructure.

Now, as I've explained before (see [1]), the main problem is that the
<typedef onerror="ignore"> fails to actually ignore a missing
classpathref.  The build fails.  If a user decides to put
ant-contrib.jar in ${user.home}/.ant/lib, I don't want to have to
force them to create a Path with an Id of "ant-contrib".  However,
that's needed if they haven't put ant-contrib in .ant/lib.

The only solution I see, given <typedef onerror="ignore">
uselessness, is to write a script in a scriptdef that can be called
and force an early return from the macrodef this custom typedef was
called from if a particular condition is met.

I hope I've explained myself.   In any case, it doesn't much matter
*why* I want to do it.  What matters is whether my desired
functionality is even possible.  Can you provide any insight
there?  Any implementation details?

Thanks!

[1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=ant-user&m=116292805430859&w=2

Jake