ant-user mailing list archives

From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: return early from a macrodef?
Date Fri, 10 Nov 2006 22:30:29 GMT
Quoting John Norvell <928572663@cox.net>:

> https://sourceforge.net/projects/antcontrib/ extension library has the
> <if> task that uses conditions.   Would you be able to use that?

Curiously enough, the whole point of needing to be able to do this is to
bootstrap ant-contrib without requiring it to be in a user's
${user.home}/.ant/lib directory.  If it is there, then I'd just like to use it
(and not force the user, in this case, to define a path with an id called
"ant-contrib".  See more on this below). If not, then I'd typedef it with a
user-defined path, with the id "ant-contrib", which would be required in the
absence of ant-contrib.jar in .ant/lib.  It's all about flexibility.

Now, there would be no problem typedefing the ant-contrib stuff if missing
classpathrefs didn't cause failure even when the typedef's onerror is "ignore"
or "report".  But it does fail, so I need to check if the reference is defined.
 This would be the condition I mentioned previously.

So, as you can see, I need to be able to do this little bit without the help of
ant-contrib, since it won't be available until I bootstrap it.  Hence, the
quest to find a way to return early from a macrodef, which is where I put the
<typedef>, to avoid invoking the <typedef> when ant-contrib.jar is already in
.ant/lib.  Hence, avoiding the need force users to provide the path with id
"ant-contrib", which would have the ant-contrib.jar as one of its path
elements.

Besides this specific case, I can see an early return as being generally useful
anyway.  So I'm quite curious to find out if it is possible using a scriptdef.

For more detailed info on typedef failing with a missing classpathref, even when
onerror is "ignore" or "report", see my previous post from a few days ago that
never got answered...

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=ant-user&m=116292805430859&w=2

Jake