ant-user mailing list archives

From Joel Klein <jfkl...@wolfram.com>
Subject Re: AW: a problem compiling a Java 5 project with generics
Date Thu, 19 Oct 2006 00:35:21 GMT
Steve Loughran wrote:
> 1. I dont like all the extra typing you need everywhere; it makes
> things more verbose. What is wrong with polymorphic type inference?
I'd like to know the story on type inference for Java too, though it is
probably more a question for the Types mailing list
(http://lists.seas.upenn.edu/mailman/listinfo/types-list) than the Ant list.

I do wonder if this introduction of generics without type inference is
part of a devious scheme of Martin Odersky, Philip Wadler and company to
get everyone to look for something like ML and Haskell which already
have type inference.  My understanding is that their work on Generic
Java (and earlier, Pizza) was folded into the generics you see in Java
1.5, but have never been able to confirm that relationship.  If anyone
knows for sure, please let me know.  And I am kidding when I suggest a
"devious scheme", Generic Java had the type annotations too, and I think
they were simply interested in adding that power on top of the popular
Java language.

--
Joel Klein                       [Online at http://jfkbits.blogspot.com]