ant-user mailing list archives

From "Scot P. Floess" <flo...@mindspring.com>
Subject Re: AW: a problem compiling a Java 5 project with generics
Date Wed, 18 Oct 2006 15:00:50 GMT
And, regarding generics...as for value - wow...how many heterogenous
collections did we ever really use in pre 1.5 code?  Most of my
collections always contained homogeneous data.  So, having generics now
certainly improves readability (yes I know, under the covers it does the
casts for me)...  I have plenty of instances where being able to supply
type via generics markup makes the code clearer at a bare minimum.

With anything, one can abuse what one has...how about "smart" code that
abused C++ operator overloading?  Arg that was a bloody mess...

Scot P. Floess wrote:
> Sorry let me clarify...  The comment was "The original code may be
> slightly incorrect (my understanding
> of java generics is not high)."  And the response was "Me too. I don't
> like STL!"  I do realize STL is built using generics.    The Standard
> Template Library defines templates...but STL in and of itself isn't
> generics (meaning without STL there is still the notion of generics).
>
> James Abley wrote:
>> Scot P. Floess wrote:
>>> What do generics have to do with STL?
>>
>> You're joking, right? Have you used the STL much?
>>
>> Generics are very very handy :)
>>
>> Maybe. I live in a world where the majority of my code has to work on
>> pre-Java 5, and for code where I can use Java 5 features, generics
>> don't seem to add a great deal. Maybe a bit less busywork in my code;
>> ditto unboxing.

Scot P. Floess
27 Lake Royale
Louisburg, NC  27549