ant-user mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: AW: a problem compiling a Java 5 project with generics
Date Wed, 18 Oct 2006 10:51:07 GMT
Peter Reilly wrote:
> On 10/17/06, Chavdar Botev <cbotev@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Peter,
>>
>> I repeated the steps you described and I can confirm that with the
>> -classpath argument the compilation fails and without it the
>> compilation succeeds. I also tried running javac on "src/test/*.java"
>> instead of "src/test/Test3.java". In this case, the compilation
>> succeeds with or without -classpath.
>>
>> I think it looks like some dependency problem.
>
> I have just checked the <javac> revision history,
> since the initial checkin (6 years, 9 months), <javac> has always added
> the destination path to the classpath for the javac command.
>
> It does not seem to be necessary? but I do not know if
> we can remove it without something failing.
> Perhaps we can use (yet another) attribute to javac to
> disable this behaviour.

It is probably needed for incremental builds in which all source files
are not in the source tree you specify, such as when you have multiple
<javac> tasks building into the same place.

I think we have caused a java generics bug to surface here. If
-classpath triggers it on the command line, it is probably a sun
problem. Question is, how to report it, and how to work around it in ant?