ant-user mailing list archives

From "Dominique Devienne" <ddevie...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: path performance
Date Wed, 18 Oct 2006 15:04:21 GMT
> Timing indicates that ant is spending 30 seconds per test to walk the lib
> tree building the classpath.  Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

Frankly, that sounds a bit fishy ;-) Unless your hierarchy is
exceedingly large in ${lib.dir}, it's unlikely it's the fileset scan
that's taking so long. I'd write a build file that only defines the
<fileset>, then <pathconvert>s it and <echo>s it, with timestamps
around to find out for sure how long is the scan.

Could be that you have fork="true" on JUnit, and the overhead of
starting a new VM and/or the test infrastructure is to blame???

Is the scan really is that slow, then you could expand once all
jars/zips in a single dir, and use that dir on the classpath (and/or
create an uber-jar of this dir).

a LOT of JARs is too vague I guess. Do the self-contained timing test
above, and give us some more indication as to what LOT means in this
case. --DD