ant-user mailing list archives

From Ninju Bohra <>
Subject Re: How to preserve a property assigned via antcall on main build process?
Date Tue, 17 Oct 2006 02:09:39 GMT

You may want to try the <antcallback> to bring back the value from a <antcall>

----- Original Message ----
From: David <>
To: Ant Apache User Group <>
Sent: Monday, October 16, 2006 11:30:17 AM
Subject: How to preserve a property assigned via antcall on main build process?

Dear members,

I am figthing for avoiding to use <if> from ant contrib lib, but I guess for solving
this problem there is no other solution.

I have the following targets:

<target name="target" depends="target-pre"
unless ="target.skip">

Note: From working properly this target I need to compute the property target.var.value (and
this property could be assigned previoulsy if some target needed such property before)

<target name="target-pre" unless ="target.var.value">
<antcall target="compute-target1.var1"/>
<property name="target.var1.value" value="the value is: ${target.var}"/>

This is the best solution, but the problem comes from the fact that the property computed
on target compute-target1.var (property target.var) is not assigned after antcall invokation,
so it doesn't work.

but If I use instead of antcall, just dependences I get the value of target.var properly

<target name="target-pre" unless ="target.var"
<property name="target.var.value" value="the value is: ${target.var}"/>

what I don't like about this solution is that the dependences targets are ALWAYS execute even
if the property target.var was defined or not. This is a simple case, but on my case the computation
of target.var is a complex task, so I have to run it always.

Using ant contrib it is inmidiatly using <if> task, but I don't want to add more library
dependence to my project.

Do you have any idea about how to solve this problem?

Do you Yahoo!?

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message