ant-user mailing list archives

From "David Corley \(AT/LMI\)" <david.cor...@ericsson.com>
Subject RE: "java.lang.ClassCastException: org.apache.tools.ant.types.Path" error after using <ant> task within ant
Date Fri, 22 Sep 2006 13:07:43 GMT
Beffling is the word. I'm pretty familiar with Ant, and this is the
first time I've seen such a low level error.

The pre and post targets are filled with tasks of the end-users choice.
But for the example below and in the code that's causing the error, I
have just the one <echo> task in the pre target.

I should explain my reasoning for carrying things out the way I do.
Basically, I've defined a core build.xml for every developer on our
site. It allows them to only have to set their classpaths and
properties, and everything else will just work for them. So far it's
been quite succesful. But we came across a stumbling block where some
developers wanted to run tests against code they had just compiled.
Normally the developers would have stubs for their unit tests, but some
developers need to run against a live server. And the server code may
have just been compiled as part of the build.
Unfortunately the core build doesn't facilitate the running of any
compiled code, aside from the unit tests, which are run with the ant
<junit> task.

So I came up with a workaround, where I allow the developers to do what
they like right before the unit testing starts and straight after it
finishes.
It means the core build.xml is still untampered, and the used get to run
whatever <java> tasks need to be run before testing with their custom
junit-setup.xml targets. I suppose I could use <import>....but why
should I have to? The <ant>  task should work just fine... No?

My core Ant script is called with a -lib argument to include some extra
jars (javamail, junit, jaf), and I'm just wondering if they might cause
any problems.

I'll get the developer experiencing the problem to change the code to
use an import statement and see how it goes.....but I still reckon
there's a bug somewhere in Ant....

/Dave