ant-user mailing list archives

From ckn...@onebox.com
Subject Capture returned value from Java?
Date Thu, 28 Sep 2006 19:21:58 GMT
I'm confused about the "outputproperty" attribute of the <java> task. The manual says
of it, "The name of a property in which the output of the command should be stored. Unless
the error stream is redirected to a separate file or stream, this property will include the
error output."

My questions are:

1) What exactly does the "output of the command" mean? When I execute a class I am executing
the class's "main" method. Of course the main signature is void, meaning that it does not
return any value itself. If the main method calls a member method that does return a value
(a String, for instance), is the value returned by that member method the information that
is supposed to be captured in the property specified as the "outputproperty" attribute's value?

2) If that's not what it means, what exactly does it mean?

I ask this because I haven't been able to figure a way of getting a value returned from a
Java class into an Ant property.

--
Charles Knell
cknell@onebox.com - email