ant-user mailing list archives

From Marcus Lindblom <ma...@yar.nu>
Subject Re: Scripting language recomendation for using <script> task
Date Sun, 17 Sep 2006 20:53:13 GMT
David,

I have a similar background to you (c++ & java) and I've found Beanshell
to be pretty good. It's _very_ much like coding straight java so it'll
suit you fine, if you want to get started with a very small learning curve.

So, if you can imagine getting your tasks done in Java, you can do it in
BSH as well.

/Marcus

David wrote:
> Dear members,
>
>   I have two tasks to do, vía script:
>   1. Sort a fixed-length (all records of a given column have the same lenght), so the
sorting criteria will be specified by values at certain possitions. I have this script using
Unix Korn Shell, using unix function: sort, but I can't use it on Windows, :-(

>   2. Extract on a fixed length file certain columns and save them into a new file. On
unix probably could be done using cat and awk togeter, I haven't it yet implemented.

>   I would like all this implemented independently of the operative system just for testing
on a developer machine (Windows), instead of testing on production machine (UNIX)

>   Looking into the scritp task, because using only ant it can't be done. On script documentation
tasks there are a lot of possible languages for using this task. I don't know none of them.
Probably each one has advantage and disadvantage. I would like to learn just one and be sure
with it can be done almost everthing, if it is easy to learn much better, :-)

>   The posibilities are: groovy, beanshell, judoscript, ruby, jython and my background
is: Java, C++, Xml, UNIX, etc.

>   Note: Probably with Perl you can do every thing, but on the production environmnet
I can't install any thing new. I just can add some jars only.