ant-user mailing list archives

From Marcus Lindblom <ma...@yar.nu>
Subject Customizable handling of unset properties
Date Sat, 09 Sep 2006 17:05:44 GMT
Hi,

I just want to ask a bit something that probably has been discussed to
death before: unset properties handling. The latest 1.7 does not address
this (according to the release notes), and I could find no enhancement
request discussing it either.

So, my simple proposal is:

Allow the user to set a custom handler for resolving properties (with
the option to handle unset properties as errors), similar to setting
build listeners.

We've been running with a modified Ant 1.6.2 for some time that simply
throws an exception if a non-set property is accessed (when another
propery is set, namely ant.disallow_unset_properties). It works really
nice for us and has helped finding quite a few bugs (that's why we added
it in the first place), but a more general solution would be to provide
various property-policies. That way, I could resolve my other issue (see
my recent post) that way as well, making it a bit more transparent.

Comments?

Cheers,
/Marcus

P.S. I could probably check out 1.7 and make a patch myself, if you guys
think it's worthwhile to include in the future.