ant-user mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: AW: Jar task : Manifest File ends with Windows ending '\r'.
Date Fri, 01 Sep 2006 10:59:36 GMT
Jan.Materne@rzf.fin-nrw.de wrote:
> If you have a look at the manifest-spec [1], you'll see
>    newline : CR LF | LF | CR (not followed by LF)
>
> So the use of the windows line ending CR-LF is valid - on Unix, too.

There's some more history on this in one of the bugs (sent to me as part
of a discussion with the Java EE spec lead on the topic)

The RFC 822 spec (on which the Manifest spec is based) states:

         Each header field may be represented on exactly one line  con-
         sisting  of the name of the field and its body, and terminated
         by a CRLF; this is what the parser sees.  For readability, the
         field-body  portion of long header fields may be "folded" onto
         multiple lines of the actual field.  "Long" is commonly inter-
         preted  to  mean greater than 65 or 72 characters.  The former
         length serves as a limit, when the message is to be viewed  on
         most  simple terminals which use simple display software; how-
         ever, the limit is not imposed by this standard.

This implies that CRLF is what we should be producing. Yes manifests suck.

-steve