ant-user mailing list archives

From David <achepat...@yahoo.es>
Subject Scripting language recomendation for using <script> task
Date Sun, 17 Sep 2006 20:24:50 GMT
Dear members,

  I have two tasks to do, vía script:
  1. Sort a fixed-length (all records of a given column have the same lenght), so the sorting
criteria will be specified by values at certain possitions. I have this script using Unix
Korn Shell, using unix function: sort, but I can't use it on Windows, :-(

  2. Extract on a fixed length file certain columns and save them into a new file. On unix
probably could be done using cat and awk togeter, I haven't it yet implemented.

  I would like all this implemented independently of the operative system just for testing
on a developer machine (Windows), instead of testing on production machine (UNIX)

  Looking into the scritp task, because using only ant it can't be done. On script documentation
tasks there are a lot of possible languages for using this task. I don't know none of them.
Probably each one has advantage and disadvantage. I would like to learn just one and be sure
with it can be done almost everthing, if it is easy to learn much better, :-)

  The posibilities are: groovy, beanshell, judoscript, ruby, jython and my background is:
Java, C++, Xml, UNIX, etc.

  Note: Probably with Perl you can do every thing, but on the production environmnet I can't
install any thing new. I just can add some jars only.

  Thanks in advance,

  David