ant-user mailing list archives

From "Noel Sebastien (BIL)" <Sebastien.N...@dexia-bil.com>
Subject RE: Jar task : Manifest File ends with Windows ending '\r'.
Date Thu, 31 Aug 2006 12:54:51 GMT
Having backwards compatibility (default behavior) and adding an attribute to choose the eol
style of the manifest fits to me perfectly.
That is the answer of my problem, if I understand that the next release of Ant will include
it (which release : Ant 1.7.0 or 1.7.1 ? Give me just an idea please).

By the way, as for my understanding, the same problem should have been solved by the specification
for the class file generation. Class files should be portable and should surely contain some
eol character. For example, I generate a Jar file under Unix that I use on Windows. The Windows
JVM should be implemented to understand EOL Unix character then ? Is that mean, that any system
should implement a way of understanding all other systems EOL characters.. Anyway the question
is how to they the same problem for class file to ensure portability ?

Regards,

-----Original Message-----
From: Antoine Levy-Lambert [mailto:antoine@gmx.de]
Sent: mercredi 30 août 2006 20:40
To: Ant Users List
Subject: Re: Jar task : Manifest File ends with Windows ending '\r'.

Hello Matt,

I am -1 to change the way ant stores manifests. At least if you want to change something,
do not change the default behavior. Adding an attribute to choose the eol style of the manifest
is OK, as long as the default behavior does not change.

If you change the default behavior, Windows users of jars built under Unix will complain.
\n without \r under Windows is displayed in notepad as a square.

Regards,

Antoine

-------- Original-Nachricht --------