ant-user mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Jar task : Manifest File ends with Windows ending '\r'.
Date Thu, 31 Aug 2006 13:02:38 GMT
Noel Sebastien (BIL) wrote:
> Having backwards compatibility (default behavior) and adding an attribute to choose the
eol style of the manifest fits to me perfectly.
> That is the answer of my problem, if I understand that the next release of Ant will include
it (which release : Ant 1.7.0 or 1.7.1 ? Give me just an idea please).

> By the way, as for my understanding, the same problem should have been solved by the
specification for the class file generation. Class files should be portable and should surely
contain some eol character. For example, I generate a Jar file under Unix that I use on Windows.
The Windows JVM should be implemented to understand EOL Unix character then ? Is that mean,
that any system should implement a way of understanding all other systems EOL characters..
Anyway the question is how to they the same problem for class file to ensure portability ?

Classpath spec says it can be one of \n  , \r\n or \r

I dont think we should adapt the manifest at all: -1 t to the idea.

It comes very close to stepping on the toes of the
when-to-break-long-lines logic, which is such a source of support calls,
usually related to applications or users who dont know the rules (even
things like weblogic and the J2EE specification authors), that we dont
want to introduce uncertainty into how ant generates manifests. We know
that the manifests we create that can be understood by all applications
except those who refuse to read the specs. Let's leave it that way,.

-steve