ant-user mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Jar Locking
Date Thu, 31 Aug 2006 10:15:53 GMT
Marc Farrow wrote:
> Everytime I run an ant task (either in NetBeans or from within Java Code),
> the executing jar gets locked and I cannot delete the jar.  I am copying
> the
> ant script and the dependent jar that it needs to run and then executing
> the
> ant tasks.  Then I wish to delete the "new" copy I just created to run, but
> a jar I am using is locked and will not allow me.  This in on a Windows
> 2000
> machine.
>
> Steps to recreate problem in NetBeans:
> 1) Create a new Java Application that extends Ant and creates a Jar or even
> uses an existing one such as ant-contrib.jar.
> 2) Run an the new ant task from within the build script of another project
> (via import command).
> 3) Delete project created in step 1).
> 4) Go to windows explorer and try to remove rest of sources, etc from the
> folder that the project in step 1) was created in.
>
> Steps to recreate similar problem using Ant Programmatically.
>   (All actions happen within same instance of a java class).
> 1)  Check out favorite project from your favorite source control
> (programmatically).
> 2)  Programmatically call the Ant script and build the project you just
> checked out.
> 3)  Once build has completed (and with no errors) try to delete the project
> you just checked out.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions to keep the "jars" from being locked after
> execution of the Ant script?

Ant does not lock jars after is runs, as JARs are only locked while the
java process is active

If a JAR is locked, it means a running java program is using it. It
could be y our IDE, it could be something you exec with <java>.

use the process explorer or JPS to find out what program you are running
with the JAR files. I think the windows server machines have the ability
to delete in-use files or find out who is using them; its only windows
workstation that is crippled.

-steve