ant-user mailing list archives

From Vishal Vishnoi <vvish...@bea.com>
Subject Re: Setting the value of a property conditonally
Date Fri, 04 Aug 2006 19:43:57 GMT
I'm a very satisfied customer of  ant-contrib <if> task for the type of
use case defined in this thread.

While I understand what Ant was originally written for, but the reality
is it has grown and thankfully
ant-contrib(http://ant-contrib.sourceforge.net/tasks/tasks/index.html)
takes care of  advanced use cases.

--Vishal

Dominique Devienne wrote:

>> I'm faced with a situation that calls for me to select the previous
>> "business day". In the U.S. business days are generally Mon, Tue,
>> Wed, Thu, Fri, with Saturday and Sunday not usually counted.
>>
>> On most days of the week, the previous business day is the current
>> date - 1 day. On Monday however, the previous business day is the
>> current date - 3 days.
>>
>> Federal holidays complicate the matter further. In the U.S. most
>> federal holidays are observed on Mondays. Therefore, on a Tuesday
>> following a Monday that is a federal holiday, the previous business
>> day is the current date - 4 days.
>>
>> Some federal holidays do occur on other days, so on days following
>> one of these, the previous business day is the current date - 2 days
>> (unless, of course, the federal holiday falls on a non-business day).
>>
>> This is all fairly easily handled in XSLT using the <xsl:choose>
>> element and a list of the dates on which federal holidays are observed.
>>
>> I have worked out an alternative plan that calls for using the <xslt>
>> task to process the file containing the list of federal holidays and
>> create a new XML file holding the data I want. I could then use the
>> <xmlproperty> element to set the values of the properties.
>>
>> I don't really want to create an intermediate file to perform this
>> task, so I'm asking if there is any other way to achieve this result
>> in Ant that I'm not seeing because I have the wrong mental model.
>

> Ant itself refrains from providing tools (tasks/types) that would make
> it easy to (ab)use it as a programing language. It aims at being very
> declarative, and not scripty. The rational is that it's very easy to
> abstract or hide away the scripty part in smart tasks, and since Ant
> is easy to extend (once the initial learning curve hump is past), in
> Java code or using true scripting language, it's the recommended way.
>
> That said, the Ant-Contrib project supplements Ant with <for>, <if>,
> <switch>, <try/catch>, etc... Except for <for>, I've used it seldom,
> or only initialy to prototype something before migrating the same
> logic into custom tasks. --DD

by email and then delete it.