ant-user mailing list archives

From Geoffrey Mitchell <geoff_mitch...@homedecorators.com>
Subject Jar task whenempty attribute useless!
Date Fri, 04 Aug 2006 19:22:31 GMT
When I specify a value for the "whenempty" attribute of the jar task, a
warning is generated saying "JARs are never empty, the contain at least
a manifest file".  This means that this attribute never has any effect!
What's even worse is that it means that the default behavior as stated
in the documentation (which is "skip") does not work!  A jar is always
created.

It seems to me that the correct behavior should be to treat a jar as
empty if the only thing it will contain is a manifest.  Certainly, that
is the behavior that *I* would expect.

Is there any reason why this shouldn't be called a bug?  Either the
attribute should be removed and the documentation changed to indicate
that a jar will be created always, no matter what, or the definition of
"empty" needs to be reconsidered.