ant-user mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Problem choosing XSLT processer with <style> task
Date Wed, 02 Aug 2006 17:59:49 GMT
Dominique Devienne wrote:
> Frankly, using C:\Program Files doesn't suit me, because it's too
> long. To type, to look at, in paths, etc... A Jar files is often not
> really an application, but a component to be used by an actual
> application. Windows puts its component in C:\WINNT\**. There's no
> right and wrong place to put things in, it's more whether you choose
> to take the easy+safe+practical choice, or obey a standard designed
> for something completely unrelated. When one purposely chooses to do
> something that may uncover hidden bugs, one has to bare the
> consequences. You obviously know what you are doing, but a lot of
> people are not as savvy, so I would also strongly suggest to not put
> Java stuff in C:\Program Files. --DD

You know why "Program Files" came about, dont you?. WinNT and Win95
needed somewhere to put stuff, and because DOS didnt have spaced names
,by putting the stuff in a dir with spaces, they could be sure that
nothing would break,

It was chosen purely for its obscurity, rather than because it makes sense.