ant-user mailing list archives

From "Dominique Devienne" <>
Subject Re: Redhat Linux Enterprise issues with command line argument containing spaces
Date Wed, 30 Aug 2006 19:37:30 GMT
First, make sure you're using the install of Ant you expect. Linux
often comes with a pre-installed Ant which might be older than the one
you think you are using, which automatically use by default.
Use the package manager to find out if Ant is pre-installed.

Second, this sounds like an issue with ant, the Shell script in
$ANT_HOME/bin that starts the Ant VM, although it's strange no one
would have noticed it before.

Which version of Ant as you using BTW? --DD

On 8/30/06, Irene Ros <> wrote:
> Hello,
> I've been developing various configuration scripts and I noticed that when
> I pass arguments through the command like such as -Dusername="firstname
> lastname" only the part prior to the space is registered. So when I
> reference ${username} it will return "firstname". Is there any workaround
> for this? I know this doesn't occur on windows but it seems linux ignores
> the quotation marks (I've also tried single quotes.)
> The argument is to be directly used in a java task but seeing as I am not
> seeing the entire value in a simple echo statement, I am pretty sure the
> issue is in the argument passing.
> Has this issue been brought up before? I haven't been able to find any
> info in the mailing list archives.
> Thank you very much.
> Irene Ros
> Software Engineer