ant-user mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <gudnabr...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Line *Doesn't* Contain?
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2006 17:40:02 GMT
--- Aaron Davies <aaron.davies@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/11/06, Dominique Devienne <ddevienne@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> So which approach are you going to be taking? Adding
> a "not" attribute
> to the relevant filters  sounds like the simplest to
> me.

I understand your position, but from my own viewpoint
I would rather write a single "unmodified"
FilterReader that nests another FilterReader than add
negation logic to all Ant's existing built-in
FilterReaders, plus place the burden on the author of
any not yet written, imposing a handicap on any
preexisting FilterReader implementation, etc., etc.
Again, the concept of a single negation filter
originated, as far as I know, with me (yes, I know
it's impossible to have a truly original thought, but
to the best I can tell I was the first person to
suggest it in the context of Ant).  It is a preference
of mine to have small, reusable pieces... an echo of
the Unix philosophy and probably relating to AOP as
well.  While my original concept of a <not> filter was
shown to be impractical, <unmodified> seems a fairly
easy concept to grasp.  Its most complex aspect would
probably be the fact that it should have the ability
to use tempfiles if applied to too-large data, but
this could be left as a todo (I don't think most of
Ant's built-in filters deal too well with HUGE input).

So... in there you can find my answer and its
justification.

-Matt