ant-user mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ant help for c compiler
Date Thu, 29 Jun 2006 14:07:11 GMT
Sayed, Irfan (Irfan) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> why do we need to the path <taskdef
> resource="net/sf/antcontrib/antcontrib.properties"/>

There is no automatic discovery and load of tasks. Ant would have to
enumerate every properties file in every package and load them, and
would probably get something wrong like load properties files that have
nothing to do with ant.

There is autoload of antlib.xml declared tasks via xml namespace
declarations.

see: http://ant.apache.org/manual/CoreTypes/antlib.html

However, you have to use tasks in a separate xmlns from then on. This
means you must be comfortable with xml namespaces, or willing to learn.

steve

ps: http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html