ant-user mailing list archives

From "Dominique Devienne" <ddevie...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: subant and memory problems
Date Mon, 05 Jun 2006 14:05:03 GMT
> I guess the more elegant way would be to add a "fork" attribute to our
> tom task, but i don't know how difficult it would be, as to is simply a
> java application.

That would be the way to go, indeed. It's rather simple to compose the
Java task in another task. I've used this approach to add "smarts" to
the Jaxb compiler for example. The code is even in bugzilla I think,
if you want to have a look. The <tom> task would do all Ant related
processing, check timestamps and all, and simply generate the
(possibly long) command line to pass to Java (or Execute) to invoke
Tom in another VM. --DD

PS: To investigate whether Tom suffers from the ill as Javac used to,
you may want to write a pure Java program (no Ant involved) that
invokes Tom several time in a loop, and see whether memory usage
increases because memory is not released. Also, check the Tom task
resets refs to Tom data structures or engine to null. Check Tom
classes don't have static caches. These kind of things.